Monday, December 3, 2007

first advent

On Saturday we went out for our first taste of the Christmas markets starting to open up! I love these markets! They are filled with wooden booths with vendors selling all kinds of goodies from Christmas decorations to Gluhwein (a hot spiced wine) to bratwurst and all kinds of crafts!

We visited the Buehl market...

Buehl Christmas Market

...and this year our tiny village of Oberweier had their very first tiny Christmas market...

Oberweier Christmas Market

That night we got our Christmas tree up.

P1050536

Most of our decorations are stored away in America, but I brought my pretty tin starts and we've added some red felt decorations and a few wooden pieces we got at last year's Christmas markets. And this year Karl added some new candle lights.

P1050547

The four Sundays before Christmas are the Advent Sundays. This weekend we celebrated the first advent with a traditional advent wreath.

Each Sunday you light a candle to represent the advents: one candle on the first advent, two candles on the second, and so forth...

Advents wreath

I made it on Sunday afternoon from things I had bought the day before: a fresh wreath, some fresh leaves and berries and things for decoration, some candle holders designed to stick into the wreath, and candles. Each candle is a different size since one candle will burn all four advents but one candle will only burn three, etc.

It think it turned out pretty!

Advents wreath

There is no where in the world I would rather be for Christmas than Germany! I love celebrating the season here! I can't wait to share all the other wonderful things about Christmas in Germany with you!

4 comments:

Jo Raines said...

Found you through the QuiltEtsy group on Flickr. Sounds so exciting to be living in Germany and getting to learn another culture and see the beautiful sights. I'll visit your Etsy shop and hope you'll stop in at mine and my little blog:

http://carolinaquilter.blogspot.com/

iSew said...

That sounds lovely. I lived in the UK for a year, what an experience. Germany would be a great place to be at Christmas time, glad you're enjoying it

heather said...

Thanks for reading! You have a wonderful shop, carolina quilter!

Isn't it fun to adapt new traditions from other cultures, isew?

ricracsally said...

sigh...I miss weinnachtmarkt! BUT I do get Gluhwein here in america, at the AF base--still, I wish I could be drinking it while walking through the town, smelling the chestnuts and candied almonds...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...