Monday, August 18, 2008

schwäbisch gmünd library

The Hospice of the Almshouse Brothers in Schwäbisch Gmünd was founded in 1269 and in 1434 a half-timber building for the Almshouse was built as part of a complex of Alms buildings and a mill surrounding a pretty courtyard. Today, that half-timber Almshouse is the town's public library. I originally ducked into the library to find a toilet to use and was awe-struck by the building itself. I ended up spending about an hour in the buliding, first wandering through it's wooden-beamed rooms, then sitting in a corner to read in this old and incredible space.









See? Didn't I tell you this was the coolest library ever?

My favorite space was this room called the Uhrenzimmer. It was built in 1596 as an office for the Almshouse and is now apparently used for weddings. I found my way there, found the door open, and just as I stepped inside this stunning room but I before I could get the camera out of my bag, I was shooed out as the room was getting prepared for a wedding. So all I can show you is the door into the room with the little hanging sign on the doorknob letting us know that there is a wedding in session. But imagine the kind of room (dark wooden walls, floors and ceilings with old Renaissance windows) that beautiful wooden doorway would lead you to and that's exactly what lays beyond it!

2 comments:

Italian Postcards said...

Heather, Cool blog! Its a bit like mine. I live in Italy with my hubby, have an art history degree, and have an Etsy store and blog. Visit mine anytime. I'll be back!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather! I am an American who is moving to Schwabisch gmund. I was looking around to see if I could find out about their library and if there was an English language section of books. How wonderful to have stumbled upon the info, the pix, and well...you! You seem like a cool chick, and I mean that in the most kindred spirity kind of way! Thanks for sharing yourself so unabashedly. I liked the poetry,pix,and setup of your site.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...